Wednesday, December 13, 2017

After thinking about the events in Alabama last night, a couple of things struck me...

1) Maybe the parties will finally stop throwing untenable, unappealing, and downright offensive candidates at us. I guess its a by-product of the nastiness of the political process, that decent, upstanding people no longer want to subject themselves and their families to the hit pieces and constant scrutiny, but good lord, that was the best we could do?

2) While I'm pleased that an alleged child predator is not in Congress, over 600,000 people still voted for him. This illustrates the blindness of so many voters. Basically, they'll vote for whoever has a "R" or "D" next to their name. How about actually looking at the candiate, finding out who they are and what they believe in, and voting for the BEST person for the job? Oh wait, sorry, i forgot pragmatism has no place in politics.

3) Doug Jones is in an interesting situation. He is a Democrat Senator in arguably the most Republican State in the country. If he votes along Democrat party lines the next 2 years, he'll for sure be voted out in the 2020 elections by the overwhelmingly Republican voters...and if he strays to the Republican side, he'll face the wrath of his own party which would probably abandon him in any future elections. My guess is that he'll have 2 years and we'll have a new senator from Alabama.

4) Full disclosure, I am lifelong Republican, and thats something I am proud of. However, I've never voted for anyone simply because they are also Republican. Just like I did when I was hiring emplyees, I looked for the best person for the job. I've voted for people that didnt share all my views, but I thought would represent me and my community well. I believe that this frame of thought is starting to permeate as people get tired of career politicians whose only purpose is to keep their jobs, and have failed to do their jobs.

5) As an American, I am proud that the good people of Alabama rose up and said no to someone who they viewed as an embarrassment to them and what they hold dear. Now I hope that Jones actually does some good and the Democrats don't abandon the very people that carried him to this victory (People of color, women, millennial's). Democrats have done a poor job of supporting these groups once they enter office (hence the Trump victory).

6) And finally, can government actually get back to the business of Governing?? Can we actually accomplish something that will benefit us a nation? Or are the next several months solely going to be about the 2018 midterms? Again, it will be nice to see people doing their jobs, instead of keeping their jobs.

Rant over...enjoy the rest of your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment