Monday, October 9, 2017

More time to write...so I'll write

I have been working from home for awhile, helping a friends firm with some things and trying to get my own recruiting business off the ground (more on that later), and when you work from home, and there is no here but the dogs...and all they do is sleep, your mind tends to wander, and you start thinking about things. So...since I have a few moments before the girls get home, I figured id write a little of it down.

1st thought - Don't let Twitter get the best of you. With the news today that a ESPN journalist/reporter was suspended due to a tweet. I began to wonder how many people have been fired/suspended and/or how many reputations have been damaged by an irresponsible or poorly thought out tweet. Before Twitter, people would express their opinion, but it was to their family, their social group, the exposure was limited and if you pissed someone off or said something inappropriate, it had a limited reach. NOW...your message goes world wide in a matter of seconds, and no matter how fast you delete the tweet, it has already been shared, screen shot and now you are left scrambling to apologize and hope that you are forgiven. Which, in these times...is a unlikely possibility. I tell this to student athletes all the time...be very, very, VERY careful what you put out there. I don't how hoe "private" your settings are, your message will be found.

2nd Thought - Seeing the fire devastation in Northern California has brought back some difficult memories for me and a lot of other people who had to work the fires we had here in San Diego back in 2003 and 2007. I hope and pray that everyone got out safe and that they will be able to rebuild their lives. I know many people in our back country areas never did rebuild and I hope we are able to help these people get back on their feet soon.

3rd Thought - I am deeply respectful of our flag and out anthem, as I see it as more than just a garment and a song. They are a symbol of a nation that has given millions a freedom that they couldn't have had in other places. I am also keenly aware of the social and racial injustices that many people face on a daily basis. I also believe that individuals have the right to protest as long as it in a peaceful manner. The NFL protests have become a lightning rod for the "protest" movement and I wonder if the original message has been lost. When the protests first started, it was aimed at racial issues between minorities and police, but now it seems that individuals are protesting the right to be able to protest. The other issue now presenting itself is "management's" attempt to rein in the protests by telling their employees...if you protest, you wont work here. I spent 30 years working for an employer that had strict policies on certain type of protests or statements. The County of San Diego stated very clearly that we could not strike, we could not promote a election candidate publicly, and if we did...we would be subject to suspensions or termination. And because we liked our job and wanted to work there, we adhered to those policies. While I applaud and support those willing to protest for what they believe in, there can be a cost. Fortunately (or unfortunately) for the NFL players, they are in the public view and every move they make is on camera and for public consumption. They should not be surprised when their protest is met with "protesting". As much as I encourage standing (or in this case, kneeling) for a cause, there shouldn't be a backlash for those who disagree with the manner on how they are protesting. There is no right answer, and if people can somehow agree that varying and difference of opinions are what made this country...then we'll actually be able to solve some of these issues.

4th thought - I've lost track of seeing posts on Facebook stating basically..."if you don't agree with me, please unfriend me". I guess I was mistaken, but I thought public debate on issues was a good thing. No one wants a homogenous society, where we all think alike. I like arguing (rationally of course) my thoughts and viewpoints with someone who has a different view on the same issue. I firmly believe that is what makes us learn and grow...and why they have things like debates. But when you shout the other person down, tell them your opinion is worthless, "unfriend" them simply because they don't share the same opinion. You've become exactly what you've been fighting against...intolerant, closed minded etc. Allow yourselves to see other points of view, you may learn something...and become a better person for it.

5th and last thought - Music soothes the soul. Not a new revelation, but with all heartbreaking news, the natural disasters, the man-made tragedies, the chill that has become the norm on your Facebook and Twitter feeds, you need to find an escape. I went to the Imagine Dragons concert last week, and found myself lost in their message for a good 2 hours. The daily stress was gone, I didn't think about politics, work, or any other negative, I was just able to sing, sway and escape. It was a pretty cool feeling. I cant stress enough how important it is to find 30 minutes a day to lose yourself in a couple of songs. Trust me...you'll feel a heck of a lot better after.

I think that's enough for 1 day. Oh...I mentioned earlier that I'm starting own business. Am announcement on that is coming soon.

If you made it this far, thank you. I hope I made you think a little, as that it what all writers hope for.

We'll talk soon

Mike

No comments:

Post a Comment